Alright, alright!!

cos-mo-post-al-an [koz-muh-postal-en]: adjective/noun
1. a person
who belongs to all the world; not limited to just one part of the world; can make their home anywhere in the world.
2. a person who believes fully that postage stamps and mail connect the world, regardless of where, from or to, they go.
3. the joyful experience of knowing you're a local because your mail made it to its destination
.


The postage stamp is truly wonderful. It can travel the world, experience the lives of a million different people, go through the doors of strangers; and never once lose sight of where it's headed.
Welcome to the land of cosmopostalan : travel, mail and words. It's a crazy little place in my corner of the woods; wherever that may be!

Saturday, September 29, 2012

Really...?

Last night I was watching telly when I was hit in the face with a whole bucket of sad.


I don't recall what I was watching, but a television commercial came on that about made me cry.
An advertisement for "some-website-where-you-can-print-off-stamps-online" (I'm ad-libbing--no pun intended--the schpeel) showed how various Americans find it "so easy" to print stamps off the internet for their "home or business" needs. Doesn't seem too saddening, right? If only used once in a while, I guess it could be beneficial.

But this was the ending line:
"Use *such-and-such-website*--and never go to the post office again."


...


Need I say anymore? What kind of ridiculousness are we up against, my fellow mail-lovers??
If you share my anger/sadness/confusion, stand up and go to the post office. Buy some postage stamps and prove to yet another postal employee that you support them in their endeavours to keep the postal service alive.

If I had a commercial that was PRO-postal (something which it seems crazy not to be), it's final line would be this:
"Buy postage stamps at the post office. And love it. Because they're postage stamps...from a post office."

You feelin' me on this one??

~ Ms. Always Traveling

2 comments:

  1. I guess it's a little different in Australia because we don't have outgoing mail collection like they do in the States. You can purchase stamps online but they charge $5 for postage! Oh, the irony! I believe there are printable stamps available now, but you still have to go to the post office to actually send the mail. Or, at least, you do where I live. :)
    And that's exactly how it should be.
    ~S.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As a fellow Australian, I completely understand! Which has made this experience of "mail pick-up" rather a novelty! I do enjoy when the postie picks up my mail ADORNED WITH STAMPS BOUGHT AT THE POST OFFICE, but I feel that having stamps POSTED to one's mailbox is rather like sacrilege... Haha!
      Of course, going to the post office is a daily event for me--so I guess I'm "killing two birds with one stone"!
      ~ Ms. Always Traveling

      Delete

Thank you for your lovely postal ponderings!
May today be a beautiful, full-of-mail kind-of day!
~ Ms. Always Traveling