Alright, alright!!

cos-mo-post-al-an [koz-muh-postal-en]: adjective/noun
1. a person
who belongs to all the world; not limited to just one part of the world; can make their home anywhere in the world.
2. a person who believes fully that postage stamps and mail connect the world, regardless of where, from or to, they go.
3. the joyful experience of knowing you're a local because your mail made it to its destination
.


The postage stamp is truly wonderful. It can travel the world, experience the lives of a million different people, go through the doors of strangers; and never once lose sight of where it's headed.
Welcome to the land of cosmopostalan : travel, mail and words. It's a crazy little place in my corner of the woods; wherever that may be!

Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Upon Reflection

If travelling shows us anything, it is that we are truly minute.
On the grand scale of things, our problems--past, present, future--remain as insignificant as which seat we are assigned on a flight. When travelling, one is exposed to things not of ones normality. They learn--hopefully--of how we, as humans, differ. How we are all of the same species and scientific classification, and yet remain so vastly, exceptionally, different.
Travelling reminds us of our many blessings. When walking through the streets of Italy--whether it was in Rome, Venice or Florence--I was reminded of my blessing to live and eat well, to have my health, to be supported by a loving family; especially when confronted with the many beggars--young and old, forceful, smiling, resilient, rude. I was reminded constantly of my blessing of being born into such a time period where I could appreciate the art, cultures, worlds, of our global past. My most constant reminder on the whole journey--and on all journeys I take--is simply that; that I am blessed to be able to travel at all.
I am thankful for that every day of my life.

The action of travelling cleanses. It inspires. It enriches. It enlightens.
If one enters a journey with the aim to lose a part of themselves, they often don't. Instead, the intention to do such a thing burdens a person the whole trip.
When travelling, we gain.
We gain insight, experiences, integrity, new values. We gain the knowledge that our perceptions of self are so much bigger than we ever thought.
We gain a whole new outlook, whether it last for the duration of the trip, for a month after the trip ceases, or for the rest of our lives.

When we travel, we carry. Luggage. Suitcases. Maps. Directions. Problems. We all carry burdens, and problems, and worries, and fears. Travelling is often regarded as an escape from such personal issues. Additionally, "escape" is often a word associated with a negative connotation. An escape from reality is different to an escape from stress is different to an escape from our own outlook. Instead, I like to refer to travelling as my endless opportunity. Whilst travelling these past months, I didn't just venture through the winding streets of Venice, or eat a picnic of gorgeous food beneath the Eiffel Tower, or fulfill my dream of swimming in the Mediterranean Sea. I saw suffering and pain, beauty and simplicity, excess and poverty. I was immersed in the lives of tens of thousands of people--if only for a fleeting second--and made ripple effects that even I was not conscious of.
This trip to Europe allowed me to appreciate the past in perfect correlation with the future. To stand on the same ground, sit in the same church pews, look at the same magnificent structures as millions of people before me reminded me of something spectacular--we're all dealing with something. It's how we choose to deal with that something that is an honest portrayal of our internal character and deepest conscience.

Travelling this summer brought me hope, and joy, and a whole lot of delicious food. And it also brought me immense happiness.
In memory of the past, appreciation of the present, and sheer wonder at the possibilities of the future. My future, the future of those I love, and the future of travel.
It makes me wonder how many other people are contemplating the same thing, considering I am one in 7,032,775,196. I'm only one speckle on this great big Earth, and only a teeny pinpoint in the vastness we call the Universe. Travelling makes me even more minute--chucks me into a huge sea of people and says, "Come find me now!"
But it also shows me how enormous, and enormously close, we all really are.

Cheers,
~ Ms. Always Traveling

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your lovely postal ponderings!
May today be a beautiful, full-of-mail kind-of day!
~ Ms. Always Traveling